- 1 This chapter does not cover meat, meat offal, fish, crustaceans, molluscs or other aquatic invertebrates, prepared or preserved by the processes specified in Chapter 2 or 3 or heading 0504.
- 2 Food preparations fall in this chapter provided that they contain more than 20% by weight of sausage, meat, meat offal, blood, fish or crustaceans, molluscs or other aquatic invertebrates, or any combination thereof. In cases where the preparation contains two or more of the products mentioned above, it is classified within the heading of Chapter 16 corresponding to the component or components which predominate by weight. These provisions do not apply to the stuffed products of heading 1902 or to the preparations of heading 2103 or 2104.
- For preparations containing liver, the provisions of the second sentence shall not apply in determining the subheadings within heading 1601 or 1602. ## Subheading notes ##
- 1 For the purposes of subheading 1602 10, the expression ‘homogenised preparations’ means preparations of meat, meat offal or blood, finely homogenised, put up for retail sale as food suitable for infants or young children or for dietetic purposes, in containers of a net weight content not exceeding 250 g. For the application of this definition, no account is to be taken of small quantities of any ingredients which may have been added to the preparation for seasoning, preservation or other purposes. These preparations may contain a small quantity of visible pieces of meat or meat offal. This subheading takes precedence over all other subheadings of heading 1602.
- 2 The fish, crustaceans, molluscs and other aquatic invertebrates specified in the subheadings of heading 1604 or 1605 under their common names only, are of the same species as those mentioned in Chapter 3 under the same name ## Additional chapter notes ##
- 1 For the purposes of subheadings 1602 31 11, 1602 32 11, 1602 39 21, 1602 50 10 and 1602 90 61, the term ‘uncooked’ is to apply to products which have not been subjected to any heat treatment or which have been subjected to a heat treatment insufficient to ensure the coagulation of meat proteins in the whole of the product and which, therefore, in the case of subheadings 1602 50 10 and 1602 90 61, show traces of a pinkish liquid on the cut surface when the product is cut along a line passing through its thickest part.
- 2 For the purposes of subheadings 1602 41 10, 1602 42 10 and 1602 49 11 to 1602 49 15, the expression ‘cuts thereof’ applies only to prepared or preserved meat which, due to the size and the characteristics of the coherent muscle tissue, is identifiable as having been obtained from hams, shoulders, loins, or collars of domestic swine, as the case may be.
- 3 For the purposes of determining the percentage weight of poultry meat, the weight of any bones is to be disregarded.
- In this section the term “pellets` means products which have been agglomerated either directly by compression or by the addition of a binder in a proportion not exceeding 3% by weight.